Blue Mountain College was founded in 1873 by Civil War Brigadier General Mark Perrin Lowrey. Blue Mountain College was independently owned and administered until 1920, when control was turned over to the Mississippi Baptist Convention. The school operated as an institution for women from 1873 until 2005 when the College became fully co-educational. Through small classes, a close faculty-student relationship, and a focus on the importance of the individual, the College has endeavored to produce graduates who are well-prepared academically and spiritually to accept places of leadership in their professions, in their communities, and in the work of the denomination. Guyton Library consists of over 80,000 titles, and the archives collection has thousands of items relating to General Lowrey, his family, administrators, alumnae, and the history of Blue Mountain College.
Warning concerning copyright restrictions. The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Photocopies or other reproductions can be furnished only under certain conditions, if they will be used solely for private study, scholarship, or research. Use of the reproduction for other purposes may make the user liable for copyright infringement. Blue Mountain College reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Browse the Blue Mountain College Digital Collections
Blue Mountain College website